Maitake is a staple in Japanese cooking. Its mild taste fits many dishes but as many other mushrooms they are particularly delicious with creamy dairy products such as cheese and heavy cream. If you don’t eat dairy, check out this diary-free recipe with maitake.
Maitake is very rich in β-glucan, water-soluble dietary fibre that can effectively reduce blood LDL β-glucan is also known for its immune-enhancing effects. A 100 g of maitake mushrooms contain a whopping 20 g of β-glucan.
300 g Mixed mushrooms (maitake, shiitake, button mushrooms), sliced thin
60 ml Heavy cream
60 ml Full-fat milk
1 Tbs Butter
50 g Blue cheese
Salt and pepper
Fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1. Melt the butter in a frying pan on a medium temperature. Add the mushroom mix.
2. Sauté the mushrooms until they become soft. Season with salt, pepper and fresh rosemary. Lower the temperature.
3. Add the milk and cream to the mushroom mix stirring continuously for about 5 minutes.
4. Turn off the stove. Add the blue cheese in the frying pan. Stir until the cheese has melted.
5. The sauce is delicious served with salmon, beef, pork, and chicken. If vegetarian, it goes well sautéed greens such as spinach. Enjoy!